Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Aleutian Islands



http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/UnalaskaAlaska.jpg


53° 53′ 20″ N166° 31′ 38″ W
Today I visited the Aleutian Islands. I went to Unalaska, the most popular of all of the islands, and I took a trip to Unalaska(the town) and Dutch Harbor. According to the 2010 Census, the population of this city is 4,376. I was told by the people that Dutch Harbor, part of Unalaska and connected by a bridge, was on the TV show, Deadliest Catch. The townspeople also told me to see the Makushin Volcano, that isn't visible from the town so I went with a hiking group there. The guide on the trip explained that these islands were formed by the Pacific Plate and North American Plate colliding and one going under the other. He also said that all of the islands experience a lot of earthquakes, but they aren't so major that the islands are able to sustain life. After exploring around town and seeing the Muakusin Volcano, I went to my room and got some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment